Vehicles/trailers purchased outside of the State of Indiana require a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) check in order to be registered by the BMV. The Switzerland County Sheriff’s Office provides VIN Checks to the residents of our county. If you need a VIN check done on an automobile, trailer, mobile home, RV, etc. call us at (812) 427-3636 to arrange for a VIN Check to be performed at your house.
If the vehicle/trailer can be legally towed or driven, anyone needing a VIN check done can also bring it to the Switzerland County Sheriff’s Office to be inspected.
There is a $5.00 fee for each VIN checked and must be paid for in cash or money order.
VEHICLES/TRAILERS – NO VIN FOUND
If your vehicle or trailer does not have a VIN number assigned and you need to register it, you will have to apply to the State for a VIN number and have them issue you a new MVIN, which you will permanently affix to your vehicle or trailer before registering it. A police check for numbers must be performed prior to submitting paperwork to the State of Indiana. When submitting paperwork, include the following:
- Completed and signed Application for Special Identification Number – State Form 12907
- Proof of ownership. Examples include: Certificate of Title, Certificate of Origin, Bill of Sale, etc. A General Affidavit is used when the vehicle is assembled from parts on hand and/or from parts that have been purchased (receipts required).
- Physical Inspection of a Vehicle or Watercraft – State Form 39530 (Must be done by a law enforcement officer)
- One original side view picture of the entire vehicle. If a mobile home, a color picture of the front and the back view of the entire mobile home.
- Receipts from materials purchased, if applicable.
- State of Indiana Fee of $11.50 for the application. If you are applying for a trailer and need a 30 day temporary permit you can send and additional $16.75 which allows the operation of a trailer on public roadways while the application is in process.
- Mail the above documents to:
Once you have received your MVIN number and permanently affixed it to your vehicle/trailer give us a call and we will come out and verify that it has been placed on the vehicle. We will fill out another VIN Check form (No Charge if paid initially) and give it to you to present to the BMV for registration and licensing. If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call at (812) 427-3636.